Wednesday, January 9, 2019

New Gardens New Beginnings

No, I didn't die. The tilapia in the aquaponic fish tanks didn't eat me. God called me to do something that many of my friends thought was crazy. I up and moved to Central Ohio. I am now living close to Dear Son and Bestest Grandaughter.  July 4th I said to hubby, why don't we think about moving up to Ohio to be close to Dear Son and his family. August 8th my home of 23 years had been sold for cash, many of my plants given away, and the moving truck loaded for Central Ohio.

snow angel in Ohio yard

New Zones to Learn

So, I've been growing all my life in the southern zones. Gimme a zone 9 or 10 question or problem and I probably had a solution or experience with the situation. My house in South Florida didn't have heat. I didn't need a heater. It only got really cold every few years. Then it was only for a day or so. No, my money was in AC!

My North Carolina gardens are zone 5. But because I am not here full time, I rely heavily on spring blooming bulbs and summer blooming shrubs. Lots of low maintenance plants. Things that can survive if I am not here to water or fertilize. Tough plants.

My Central Ohio gardens are Zone 5, I am here full time, and they grow things I've only ever heard of and many things I have never seen. It's been a challenge. But if I can learn to grow in a new zone, you can learn to grow too. Because it's almost like I was starting from scratch. So I started with stuff I knew should work.

Start Easy

So, I moved into a house built in 1901 and the gardens had been ignored for about 10 years. I moved in the fall and I started with what I knew.....bulbs. My first plantings were daffodils, tulips, and crocus.

I had grown them in the mountains, so I knew how and when to plant them. Now what kind to plant was another story. Thus begins the trial and error of learning what varieties are hardier than others.

Learn the Soil

So, in South Florida, we had no soil unless you built it yourself. Before that, in Houston we had a clay soil, and before that in Corpus Christi we had sand and clay. 

In Ohio we have clay. First things first. We brought in a truckload of a combination of compost from the Columbus Zoo and topsoil.  We used this mixture to work into each planting area to break up the clay. Compost is great but it takes time to build yourself. That's why I imported composted material from the zoo.  If you have a zoo in your area, check and find out if they sell compost or give away manure.

Make a Friend or Two

The most important thing I did was connect with a person that was successfully gardening in my neighborhood. If you want to know what will grow in your area, ask the people that are growing. Plant people love to talk plants.
But you know that if you've spent any time on a plant forum.

I was lucky enough to find a woman in my neighborhood that runs a concierge lawn service. She doesn't do lawns, but she plants and cares for garden beds. I met another person that had been vegetable gardening for years in Central Ohio.

These two became invaluable resources.

Early Summer Blooms in new bed - Daylilly, verbena, Zinnia, petunia, Salvia

And the adventure continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment